Thursday, August 2, 2007

#11 Folksonomies - Library Thing -Done

I've actually used Library Thing before and had set up an account. I used a new book I had just read, Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano to check out tags and conversation, reviews etc. It's obviously a little bit more exciting to hunt for commentary from others who may think this book is a masterpiece as I do. Interestingly enough, the subject headings in CRUZCAT and the tags on LibraryThing actually complemented each other nicely. Neither grouping captured entirely the themes of the work. In fact, that might be very difficult to do without 50-1oo tags. I thought that LCSH would capture the book under more general headings than the tagging on LT, but that wasn't the case. Must say something about how a particular work and a reader's interests and knowledge can focus a description in so many different ways.

No comments: